This page describes the current multi-lingual policy on the Global Anabaptist Wiki.
Pages in Multiple Languages
Within the Global Anabaptist Wiki we are building a set of encyclopedic pages about the global Anabaptist church in four languages (English, French, German, and Spanish). Articles in the Global Anabaptist Wiki should be translated into these four languages. The following are guidelines for writing articles in multiple languages.
- English is the root language for pages in the Global Anabaptist Wiki. All root pages should be named and written in English.
- Other languages should be placed in an appropriately named language page by adding the appropriate language code to the root page title. E.g. the Spanish version of Anabaptistwiki:About should be at Anabaptistwiki:About/es (not Anabaptistwiki:Sobre or Anabaptistwiki:Sobre/es). Use the following abbreviations to create pages in French, German, or Spanish.
- Language pages should be named using the appropriate language code for that language (see below).
- Language codes should only be used for translations into other languages besides English. (e.g. The English Anabaptistwiki:About page has no language code while the Spanish version, Anabaptistwiki:About/es, has the Spanish language code (es) added to the page name).
- If an international version of a page exists but an English version does not, then please create a stub article for the English version as this aids navigation.
- Please note - when translating pages you need to change any categories to include the appropriate language code. For example, if you translate a page from English to French (fr) and the page contains the tag
[[Category:Policy|Language policy]], you need to replace it with
[[Category:Policy/fr|Language policy]]. If this results in a red link, you will probably want to follow the link and translate the category page as well (which should be quick - most are blank except for containing a parent category).
The title for the root page will be in local church or congregation's native language, not English, (e.g. While the root page for the Guatemalan Evangelical Mennonite Church page will be written in English it will be titled Iglesia Evangélica Menonita de Guatemala, not Guatemalan Evangelical Mennonite Church).
The main page
The English version of our front page is located at Global Anabaptist Wiki. Translated versions are located at Global Anabaptist Wiki/code, where code is the language code (e.g. Global Anabaptist Wiki/es).
Throughout the Global Anabaptist Wiki you should use the language codes specified by the MediaWiki software when creating language-specific content (see Names.php for the full and up-to-date list).
Following are the language codes French, German, and Spanish:
- French: /fr
- German: /de
- Spanish: /es