Settlements of the Orthodox Mennonite Church
From: Records of Ministry Ordinations of the Orthodox Mennonites (Edited, 2022)
Early origins and roots of the Orthodox Mennonite Church of Huron County, Ontario come mostly from the David W. Martin Church (now Independent Old Order Mennonite Church) and O.O.M. (Old Order Mennonite) Church in Waterloo Region, Ontario. Also, a few families of Platt Deutsch origin, meaning from Belize or Mexico earlier (1920-1940s from Western Canada, Russia 1870s-1920s), and also a few from the English car world.
In the mid-1950s Minister Elam S. Martin and Deacon Samuel H. Horst and their wives either withdrew or were expelled, plus approximately 12 other families and 15 single members from the David W. Martin Church. Elam S. Martin, originally lived in Wellesley Township, Waterloo region, Ontario, and laid its foundation there and adapted the name "Orthodox Mennonites of Wellesley Township", and later on of Huron County, Ontario ("Gorrie Mennonites").
The first church service held in the 13th Line Wellesley Orthodox Mennonite Church (Waterloo Region) was June 24, 1962. Following is information of the beginnings of the 7 communities in Canada and the USA by 2017 (of the "Gorries"):
1. Howick and Turnberry Twp. Huron Co. ON Canada ("Gorrie" Community)
Settlement started Apr. 3, 1979. First church service a few weeks later. North Howick Church house situated on 44189 Glenannon Rd. opened on June 13, 1986. Wroxeter Church house situated on 42680 Orange Hill Rd. opened on June 25, 1995. First church service held in Triple Hills School situated on 90848 Jeffray Line on Aug. 9, 2015. Triple Hills Church situated on 90848 Jeffray Line opened on Jan. 1, 2018.
2. Huron-Kinloss Twp. Bruce Co. ON Canada
Settlement started 1994. First church service held by the Orthodox Mennonite Church on Jan. 18, 1998. First membership: Aug. 16, 1998. First church service in Kinloss Church situated on 705 Hayes Lake Ave. on Aug. 6, 2000.
3. Algoma (Tarbutt, Johnson Plummer Twp.) ON Canada
Settlement started on Feb. 18, 2004. First church service held by the Orthodox Mennonite Church on Good Friday April 9, 2004. Now regular services held at North Shore since fall 2010, situated on 4373 Government Rd., East Johnson Church House, situated on 761 Fisher Rd., opened on Jan. 1, 2014. West end church services held in alternating homes since spring 2004, till Aug., 2020, and since at Jonas Hoovers situated at 2568 Government Rd. East end church services held in alternating homes since 2018.
4. Renfrew Settlement (Admaston/Bromley Twp.) Renfrew Co. ON Canada
Settlement started on April 8, 2014. First church service held by Orthodox Mennonite Church Feb. 23, and on Apr. 18, 2014. First church service held at Stone Haven approximately June 2017, situated at 2390 Stone Rd. First church service held New Years Day 2020 in the Douglas Church House situated at 1595 Stuart Rd.
5. Snyder County, PA USA
Settlement started in early 1820s. First church service held by the Orthodox Mennonite Church Dec. 7, 1997. First membership: Jan. 16, 1999.
6. Trigg Co, KY USA
Settlement started in Apr. 1998. First church service held by the Orthodox Mennonite Church Dec. 14, 1997. First membership: June 19, 1999. First church service held in Cerulean Mennonite Church May 21, 2011.
7. Fairview (Christian and Todd Co.) KY USA
Settlement started Dec. 1, 1989. First church service held by the Orthodox Mennonite Church Nov. 17, 2006. First membership: Dec. 3, 2005.
"Records of Ministry Organizations of the Orthodox Mennonites, On Canada, Snyder Co. PA, Trigg Co. and Christian Co. KY, USA, mid 1950's to 2022"; Compiled by Ervin W. Martin, 43067 Howick-Turnberry Rd. RR#1, Wroxeter ON Canada N0G 2X0